<$BlogRSDURL$>
| about | contact |

Monday, June 26, 2006

Bourgeois Bohemian  

Before going to sleep tonight, I just wanted to add a quick and short note to my rant below on the state of busking in Singapore...I can't help but find us all just BOBOs - Bourgeois Bohemian, perhaps a little too much to my taste. I'm not trying to criticise the IS article, but rather, I often feel that we have certain misconstrued views, why busking not popular in Singapore is one of them. We say things like, "Oh, we should allow more busking in Singapore, other artsy cities have them too, and it makes the city so vibrant." But hang on a minute...

Where do the buskers come from? Many of them actually did not choose busking as a profession, or even a hobby. They're doing so so as to survive (difficultly on top of that). This is why I think we're BOBOs - many of us enjoy the "artsy" scenes of Paris, London, Tokyo and New York...but we fail to realise that this vibrancy (aka "busking") is the result of something most would choose to avoid, that is, an economic downturn.

Alrighty...good night.



0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?